Check Out These 12 Fun Facts About Coffee That Will Surprise You
by Carolyn Lee May 2, 2022
For many, coffee is the preferred morning beverage. Caffeine is an essential ingredient in coffee, known and enjoyed for its many health benefits. Some coffee lovers enjoy it for its flavour and may have several cups during the day. We’ve heard that coffee can boost energy and help with alertness, but what are some other facts about coffee?
- The word “coffee” comes from the Arabic word for wine – “qahwah.” Qahwah became “kahve” in Turkish and then “koffie” in Dutch. The English word coffee came from the Dutch word, koffie.
- The caffeine in coffee is a central nervous system stimulant known for increasing energy levels and fighting fatigue.
- Use coffee grounds to exfoliate your skin as part of your beauty regimen for brighter, glowing skin.
- Coffee is one of the most popular and most-consumed drinks in the world. With so many ways to enjoy coffee, this is not surprising.
- Brazil is the largest producer, and Finland is the biggest consumer of coffee globally.
- Some health benefits linked to coffee include its ability to support heart health, protect against liver problems, and promote brain health.
- You could overdose on coffee, but it would require drinking about three cups of coffee every hour for 24 hours for it to be lethal. Large doses of caffeine can trigger heart palpitations and cardiac arrest.
- During its early days, there were several attempts to ban coffee. Thankfully, those attempts lacked success, allowing us to enjoy coffee today.
- According to the World Guinness Records, the most oversized cup of coffee was made on 15 June 2019 by Alcaldía Municipal de Chinchiná (Colombia). It took fifty people to make the record-breaking cup, which contained 22,739.14 litres (6,007.04 US gallon or 5,001.91 UK gallon) of Arabic coffee.
- The word cappuccino came from the Capuchin friars. The friars belonged to the order founded in Italy in the 16th century. The colour of the Capuchin robe is like that of espresso mixed with frothed milk.
- There are several coffee festivals celebrated globally. In Jamaica, before the pandemic, the Blue Mountain Coffee Festival spanned three days of exciting performances, tours, food, coffee, culture, and more. The festival was hosted virtually in 2021 because of the pandemic.
- We love that coffee can be enjoyed as a beverage and used in food recipes. From savoury meat dishes to sweet treats, there are many coffee recipes to excite your taste buds.
We enjoyed sharing these facts about coffee with you and found #7 to be surprising. Use the Guernsey online directory if you need to find a café, coffee retailer, or related business near you.